Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Devils in the details :: Brass Horn button

A good friend of mine is an incredible artist in his own right. Eric is a clockmaker who makes astounding hand made clocks in his work shop. One day while visiting he mentioned that anytime I wanted to spin something on the lathe that I should drop by and we'll make it together.

'nuff said, I was there. So my first experience working with metal on a lathe was to make a new horn button for my 1936 banjo steering wheel which will be going on the Gow Cart. The aluminum piece is made to fit a '37 -'39 style steering wheel, so there is still some work to be done to make this all come together.




It's domed and has lines in it much like the plastic original did. I just wanted something a little snazzier! There is still another retaining ring that I'm planning on spinning out down the road out of brass too which should really be an eye catcher on the hot rod. Maybe a little too nice...

Man, I've got the itch. The weather has been so nice I want to be outside all the time to be building on this car.

More updates soon. In the meanwhile, show some support!


and

No comments:

Post a Comment